Sunday, February 18, 2007

Celtic Knapdale


On the front page of my "Knapdale People" website, I make the claim that Knapdale and environs was the place where the "Celtic Renaissance" happened. In support of this, I have listed a number of places in Knapdale with the prefix "KIL" meaning a "little cell", or more generally, a place where a Celtic Priest lived, worshipped, and evangelized the Highlanders. After the 17th century, these chapels and burial grounds fell to ruin: the Protestant Reformation replaced them with their own places of worship. Some of the very fine carvings in the Celtic manner have in more recent years been rescued and sheltered in a few re-built chapels. These are well worth a visit when you are in the area.


The "Celtic Page" also has some photos I took while I was in Knapdale a few years ago. I will be adding to this section, showing off some of the carvings I have seen and photographed.


No comments: