Saturday, October 27, 2007

a new section added to Knapdale People Site


I have added a new section, and called it "Leaving Knapdale." The first item is a contribution by Colin McGugan. He is the descended from Donald McGugan, who left Knapdale in 1819 for Upper Canada. Colin made a presentation to the Ontario Genealogy Society in 1998, and has very kindly allowed me to put it in 'pdf format' on KnapdalePeople. Also part of this is a copy of a picture done back in 1929, by a relative of mine, Jack Ferguson, in commemoration of the "Landing of Argyllshire Highlanders, Caroc Nellie, New Glasgow, 1816."

As usual, I have added some 'people lists' for the section (including one of Ontario's New Glasgow Cemetery).
The photo used for the design portrays my great grand parents, John Campbell and Effie McIntyre. My own grandfather, Archibald John Campbell, is not in the photo. But the HOUSE is! And a great big house it was, too - which I think is one of the points the photographer wanted to make.

2 comments:

Bmac said...

Hi Heather while browsing I came across the picture"The Last of the Clan",1865 by Thomas Fead(1826-1900)the caption reads"When the steamer had slowly backed out ,and John MacAlpine had thrown off the hawser[rope],we began to feel that our once powerful clan was now represented by a feeble old man and his granddaughter,who,together with some outlying kith-and-kin,myself among the number ,owned not a single blade of grass in the glen that was once all our own.

Bmac said...

My ancestors James and Janet McAlpine with their two sons Gilbert,12 and Duncan,9 left Achnamara Northknapdale aboard the ship"Huntley"which departed Greenock June,17,1828 arriving at port of Quebec,Canada August,7,1828 then on August,8,on the boat"Chambly"up the St.Lawernce eventualy arriving at York(Toronto)then up Younge St.to lake Simcoe and by boat to Beaverton, where the woman and children stayed, while the men trecked 6 miles through the bush, to the recently surveyed township of Eldon to locate their lots, and is the property on which I am proud to say I was born.